Re: Photo: Pillar of the Community

My interpretation is that the habits of this period of
church architecture was to conceal the church building
itself and have the other vertical features be the
means of distraction (perhaps invading forces would
attack a bell tower as it makes a nice target, and
they'll leave the church alone).  These tall pointy
things also made a lot of noise with all them bells a
ringin'.  The unassuming one level building to the
side, looking like a storehouse or library, would
actually be the church.  Although, I would think that
an invading army would go after such a building for
possible supplies and such.  Meanwhile the woman and
children would likely be inside and it would be like
ripping open a box of Krispy Kremes!
--- Brian Chandler <chandler@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:24:15 -0500
> "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > 1240AD?  How does that jibe with the concept of
> the campanile - the
> > Italian bell tower that lots of towns in Italy
> have?  Was the
> > detached bell tower somehow an imitation of the
> Roman?
>
> I don't know about this specific case, but there are
> quite a few
> 'detached' towers in England (and probably Wales,
> come to think of it).
> In some cases - I believe the one right at the
> crossroads at the (Roman)
> centre of Gloucester - were bombed in the 2nd world
> war; in other cases
> there was just some engineering reason for building
> the tower slightly
> apart.
>
> Brian Chandler
> Jigsaw puzzles from Japan
> http://imaginatorium.org/shop/
> imaginatorium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

=====

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham