Water filters

I've been investigating water filters on the internet and it seems that a common statement is something like - "The amount of particles embedded in my emulsion has decreased considerably since .....". Decreased considerably? It sounds like everyone starts out with the kind of sludge I have. Somehow I feel less incompetent now. Ignorant perhaps but not quite so incompetent.

Greg