Re: Review (marilyn)

The third in the series is a close up of a different formation.  This one was hard to frame and crop when shooting as my Mamiya only has an 80mm lens on it (I need to get a 50 for both my 35mm and my Mamiya now that I think about it).  Also, I wanted to get close enough to capture the detail and far enough away to get as much in.  It was tough.

Marilyn <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don Roberts
Guardians:   I was drawn to, and struck by this image.   I like cemetery photography.   For some reason (for me, anyway) being in a cemetery is an "experience".   It's so quiet and profound.   That is what this photo displays - the quietness and the death's profoundness.   This photograph really does give the sense that the angels are watching over their charges.

Jim Davis
Reed Bunting:   What a wonderful close-up of this beautiful little bird.  I like the warm, glowing colors in the background, and this genial little fella' seems to be posing for the camera.

John Mason
Stage Door:  A perfect moment caught on film.   The young artist seems to be praying and I think we can all relate to the nervousness and apprehension she must be experiencing.   The background is a little cluttered, and distracting, but that just gives the feel of the stress she is about to face on the stage.

Trevor Cunningham
Terran Tissue Arrangement A:   I like all the colors, movement and textures present in this image.   I can see so many opportunities for close ups.   If this were my photo, I'd have cropped the to 1/3 (that could be an image in itself) and concentrated on the lower 2/3s of the subject.   I hope you show the other photographs taken in this series, Trevor.   The subject matter is fascinating.

Emily L. Ferguson
Dry snow in the Wind:  A wonderful photograph, Emily.    It looks like waves crashing against rocks.  A powerful, beautiful photograph.

Amy West
Poker:   I like the idea behind this photograph, Amy.  You captured the feel of the game by including the cards and chips.    I think if the photograph were mine, I'd crop in closer to the left hand, portion of the subject.   There is just a little too much black, empty space for me.   Poker makes me think of "busyness".  Hands moving, cards being dealt, chips being scooted around the table.   Even if some of the moving objects were blurred, it would indicate all that movement.  You've got a great start for some good photographs in this one.

Christopher Strevens
Train to London:  Very nice framing and composition.   I can feel the loneliness of someone being left at the station while his/her significant other is leaving in the train.  This looks like the train is pulling away, but it may just be coming into the station.   The dark tunnel of the station gives the feel of sadness and loneliness, though.   I like this photograph very much.   For me, it tells a story.

WRGill
Point Lobos State Reserve, Carmel, CA:  Wonderful framing of the subject, W.R.   I think I'd crop a little more off the bottom, though.  All the black gives a  bottom-heavy feel to the photograph.   I can easily see this image being used for a mural.   I can smell the sea air and feel the chill {:->

Per Ofverbeck
Wheel:  I love the textures in this photograph.
the wood behind the wheel is beautiful.   Would there have been any way to increase the direction of the light?  If so, that would really make the photograph stunning -  I can see the spokes of the wheel casting strong shadows and the texture of the wood really stand out if there were stronger lighting coming from one direction or the other.

Achal Pashine
Afterglow, Mono Lake, CA:  A very peaceful and serene image.   I could look at this for hours while listening to "Music to Relax By."  Beautiful colors, nice framing and compositions.   What else could a viewer ask for?

Thank you to all who shared your work.  Thank you, Andy and staff, for the great exhibition.

Marilyn

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?