Re: Stereo 360-degree Panoramas

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:00:55 +0000
Qkano <wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Quite amazing!  I guess they are using two blended sets of off-set
> panoramas?
>
> AZ
>
> That's what I still don't understand.
> When you take a normal panorama presumably the "lens" rotates  about
> the entrance pupil (?).

Supposed to be the front nodal point, I believe.

> If you had two cameras side by side where would the axis of rotation
> be?
>
> Mmm.  Maybe it's OK for a "scanning" type of shot but I could see
> problems for assembling these from a sequence of static frames.

Well, I've seen agonizing over finding the axis of rotation when making
a panorama, but it isn't very convincing. Of course if you rotate the
camera about the tripod axis (which is what happens by default) there is
a parallax effect. But calculate its magnitude: the worst case will be
that a close object moves with respect to something at infinity (like a
cloud - fat chance of them being stationary!) In practice the parallax error
will be a very small number of centimetres. So if the closes object is
around 5m away, this will be appreciable. But provided this is a
"landscape" view, a resolution of 2cm *at the subject* is likely to be
perfectly adequate.

So when you rotate your pair of cameras, do it about the mid-point
between them. Getting the transverse movement of the camera between two
shots to be not more than a cm or 2 just isn't going to be difficult.

So I think it's a non-issue.

Brian Chandler
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/