Re: My new web site - at last...

2004-01-30 kl. 16.29 skrev Brian Chandler:
Niggle: the title in the browser window comes out wrong for me. Since
it's only a little extra (the main body of the text has all accented
characters as ä etc.) - I think it would be better converted to a
non-proprietary character set.
(http://htmlhelp.com/bbs/wdgbbs.cgi?action=display;num=121548 might help)

Brian Chandler ---------------- Jigsaw puzzles from Japan http://imaginatorium.org/shop/ imaginatorium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brian, I´m a little confused here: the main title in both the Swedish and the English version is a GIF image, so it should be independent of both character set, fonts, and browsers. I´ve hunted a lot after missed "&" characters in my texts (Swedish uses a lot of them), but a few may remain. How they would get into the English version is more of a mystery...:-)

I´ve tested the pages with Safari, Mozilla, and IE on different Macs, and on IE on my wife´s job Windows box. IE has less pleasing font rendering on both platforms, also it introduces some funny white lines around the frame with the "back" button on all album pages. Mozilla and Safari clearly do a better job; I´ve been thinking of downloading Opera just to be able to check, but haven´t got around to it.

The "charset=macintosh" in the meta tag was generated by one of my software helpers, most likely Apple Works. I don´t know enough about charsets to say whether it is standard, but it wouldn´t really be in Apple´s interest to use nonstandard sets as default; they have enough of an uphill battle as is.

I´ll try to look into this; the important thing is obviously to get the pages properly rendered for as many users as possible...
Anyone else who has found funny characters?

Thank you, Brian!

Per