photoshop>image ready help

I am getting ready to do a major overhaul of my web site and want to
optimize my images using  the Save for Web feature in PS7 and/or the
tools found in Image Ready but I'm hitting a snag.

In PS7 using Save for Web I make my adjustments and save the file as a
jpg  with a new name but when I reopen the new, changed file, it's the
same size as the original in terms of physical size (this makes sense)
but also in terms of data size (which doesn't seem to make sense because
why would a person bother to optimize if the file size stays the same).

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or point me towards an online
tutorial that might explain this.

Thanks for any help.
Lea

Lea Murphy