RE: Are you a professional

Hi Bob,

Low end photo jobs are good training for newbies. It teaches speed,
attention to detail and often customer service. Often it also teaches
the young photographer that something else may be needed for a career

Skills are honed in jobs like this, the real world teaches much, better,
faster and more frequently than any school could ever dream. Good
business acumen, follow threw , and even some of the basic mechanics are
taught to quite a few photographers in jobs just like this one. I
started in a photo department in a jewelry store. I learned how to count
change, and how grit my teeth and smile when dealing with idiots. Later
when I had a job pulling weeds and schlepping gear for William McIntosh
I learned the basics of lighting and editing as well as some B&W
printing for portraits.

So Yes the kid at the amusement park is a "pro". You never know what
will come next. But I do know that I will NEVER belittle someone trying
their best to learn even though they are at the professional first rung
of a career.

Les Baldwin

As far as appellations go, anyone can be a professional. There's a kid
that
frequents my coffee house that takes digital photos of children with
Goofy
and Mickey at Disneyland. Disneyland gave him the Kodak camera and an
orientation and now he's off being paid for his photographic skills.
He's a
"professional."

Now then, an advanced amateur has to at least have some artistic talent.

Regards,
Bob...
"There are rotten people in the world that
cannot be cured by magical hippy love."
-- Lynda Barry