gallery review Jan 14th 2004

Just a few words about each submission this week:

Leslie Spurlock
Haitian street kid

Excellent photojournalism. Personally, I don't have what it takes for
this type of photography. I guess I'm too shy. Try not to cut off a
head like this though next time :-)

Gregory david Stempel
Mamiya in the sun

You got a lovely triagulation going here with the cat opposite the
rays. I'm a bit unsure about that those objects are in the background.
On first look I thought that was a laundry basket, now it looks more
like an antique baby bed. Perhaps show a bit more or none at all? Just
my opinions of course but I feel if a picture is an element that can
be moved, it's ok if it improves. Otherwise it just adds clutter, I
mean if it's not apparent what it is, or what it's purpose is, how it
relates to the scene, whatever. Hope this helps.

Shawna Hanel
Injustice

I have to take this as a pure abstract of sorts, and as that it's
pretty well balanced and composed, with interesting colours and
textures. No my bag, but good for a photo of a cheap plastic toy. You
make these toys look too good!

Jim Snarski
Gull Friend

Having just had a series in Gallery X of my gull photos go uncommented
on, no comment. Just kidding. Nicely captured moment, perhaps a bit
dark underwing. Film in midday'll do that.

D.L. Shipman
Anhinga - Venice FL, 2003

Wow, another nice shot of a bird I've never even seen. Well done Dave,
keep up the good work.

Jim Davis
Flying Low

Just an easy snapshot I liked. Note, that 'gargage' on the bird's foot
is actually a short piece of dried up reed that he'd been walking on.
On checking all my Egret shots, only one or two show this colour of
leg on an Egret. Most are definitely green on the little or snowy
Egret. So this is an Intermediate Egret.

John Palcewski
On the wall.

I think you should have zoomed it in a bit to show just what these
objects might represent. I can't quite tell by reading any text on
things. And the snorkelling rig doesn't show up well at all.

Per Ofverbeck
Winter weeds

I love it, Per. Sometimes it's the simple images that really make it.
And unusual lighting too.

Jeff Spirer
Yellow Hydrant

This would be a masterpiece if the front of the building were not
clipped so tight. Can you take it out of the slide mount and get that
little bit extra? Where do you find such scenes? amazing

Shyrell Melara
I'm Soooo Bored!

Shyrell, you need to talk to other owners of this camera. You could do
this perhaps on some forum, or find a newsgroups. Try a Google
newsgroup search of this make and model. You might find this is a flaw
that can be fixed, or replaced. That sucks with 256 colours or
whatever is happening there. Even the first cellphone with a camera
was better than that. Think about it.

Trevor Cunningham
Umm, Houston...We have a problem.

Oh, that is a wild and whacky image. Too bad right and bottom are so
cut off. I want to know more viewing this.

Kostas Papakotas
wino

Excellent work but yes you should have placed a cheap bottle of wine
or something in the photo. this bear does look a bit hung over though

Hey, I found out how to easily grab all the text in the gallery. I
simply highlighted it plus the images and copied, then pasted into my
email. The images didn't come, just the text, but that sure saves me
tons of work doing a review. Try it. Maybe you'd do more reviews if it
was easier.

--
Checkout the Motorcycle Headlight Relay Kit at:
http://jimdavis.oberro.com/html/bike_acc_.html