Re: Help with Book Cover Photo Pricing

I did a pic for a CD cover once...
Since they were my friends and sales were not good I bartered the picture with tickets for their following concerts a a good lunch :)

At 08:21 PM 1/12/04, you wrote:
At 03:51 PM 1/12/04 -0500, you wrote:
I need help guys, I have been hired to do a book cover photo and the writer wants to buy the photo outright. What do I charge?????? What effects what I charge? I'm totally lost here and really need some help....

Thanks in advance,

Brian Blankenship
http://www.bngraphics.com

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop"
-Ansel Adams

Brian,

I know the working pros on the list will scream but book cover pics are often one of those barter things unless the publisher will pay. Sounds like not. If it were for a friend of mine I'd give them unlimited use until they made the NYT best-seller list. I used to do pics of artists for free or trade just to get good at doing portraits. It turned out to be one of my best experiences.

AZ

Build a Lookaround! The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed. NOW SHIPPING http://www.panoramacamera.us

Pablo Coronel Ph.D. Candidate Food Science Department North Carolina State University Room 39 Schaub Hall, Box 7624 Raleigh, NC, 27695

Phone (919) 515-4410
Fax (919) 515-7124
e-Fax (419) 818-7590
e-mail pcorone@unity.ncsu.edu