Re: Help with Book Cover Photo Pricing

AAARRRRGGGHHHH
to quote Lucy,

Hi Brian,

Pricing depends on three things

Cost of the shoot + your profit.
Get the primary profit and cover the expenses of the initial shoot here.

Usage, and north America vs international printing.
Is it an inside cover shot? Is it the outside front cover? If so then the image is used for ADVERTISING not just to show how the author looks. Is the book going to be used outside the US? If so where and how many copies are in the 1st printing for each country. If the image is going to be used in a small market book (specialized IE "German lens repair" etc) or is the book going to a hot property with loads of sales?

Number of copies or versions in sequential publications.
If the first printing is less than 1k get the cash up front for the shoot and then get what you can for the rest, if the book is going into a large first printing get as much as you can and DO NOT SELL THE RIGHTS. Make the writer put your name and copyright under the image on all copies.

I hope this helps,

Les Baldwin

At 03:51 PM 1/12/04 -0500, you wrote:
>I need help guys, I have been hired to do a book cover photo and the
>writer wants to buy the photo outright. What do I charge?????? What
>effects what I charge? I'm totally lost here and really need some help....
>
>Thanks in advance,
>

>Brian Blankenship
>http://www.bngraphics.com
>
>"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop"
>-Ansel Adams

Brian,

  I know the working pros on the list will scream but book cover pics are
often one of those barter things unless the publisher will pay.  Sounds
like not. If it were for a friend of mine I'd give them unlimited use until
they made the NYT best-seller list. I used to do pics of artists for free
or trade just to get good at doing portraits. It turned out to be one of my
best experiences.

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.