in Julie's shoes - was Question about lighting...

it seems i will be getting in the same situation as Julie's

I am an agronomist by proffesion, and i am in the discussions stage with a major multinational firm's department here in northern Greece to be employed as their small scale field experiments supervisor.

I know that novice level photos of crop samples are asked and delivered by the firm's employees, and i am familiar with the quality etc, 'cos a very good friend was holding the position sometime back. (hence i know a lot of the firms inside outs & who is who).Images  are used for lecture/promotional slideshows,usually contacted by the agronomist, and maybe product catalogues ( believe it i can get a lbetter or similar photos of what is published in Greek issue catalogues)

The problem is that no matter what, i will be asked to supply photos, and if i mention that i am more like a serious amateur that means i possess skill and equipment far above anyone else's in the firm. Then way behold of what i will be asked to...And believe me, working relations here in Greece, do not allow to say no.

So, if i may guess Julia could not say no either. She may not be commanded to, but i bet she was politely - in the spirit of good fellowsmanship - asked too. Maybe she was patted and praised for her photo abilities.

Now for all of you that are ready to shout job contracts and use rights etc, why do i hear the firm manager loughing and scratching his...?

Obviously any advice would be welcome, but here is what i am thinking to do.
1. give them 30 % better photos. they are not photographers and cannot know that i am 200% better than my friend or the next guy. and that 30% will prove my worth & satysfy them.
2. no way i am gonna explain them and use in anyone's presence, tech stuff like reflected fill lighting etc.
3. refuse to use my equipment in field. No one can force me to risk my hard-earn-money-paid-with camera and lenses & stuff in the muddy crop fields ( even if my equipment rides along in the company's car form location to location - would you miss the scenery shots?)
4. in the proper time ask for a better camera (and not any other equipment). It has worked before for me, when employed for a rather stingy firm.When suggested, they forgot the whole issue.
The latter is a real test for their intentions too. If they are serious about it they will invest.Otherwise, they were fishing for what good images they could get...
5. maybe i will ask for special photography days. I will be doing nothing else than taking photos, selecting slides etc.

I guess a lot of you heve been in that position even before Julie. I caanot know how you hav felt, and what your choices were.

But i know as much as i want to cry NO, and PAY ME EXTRA, that *cannot* be done.

Actually Julie started was actually an ethics issue (amateurs doing the pro's work), and did you noticed that has lasted more than anything?

PS i would define the Pro like the skilled person that can supply QUALITY and CONSISTANT results, even if he is not paid for.

enjoy the first new year's days, kostas

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Äåí Ý÷åôå web site; ÁðïêôÞóôå ôï ôþñá êáé ðÜñôå äþñï ôï domain óáò!