auto- focus lock dynamic af etc

dear members
seasons greetings!
 I have recently acquired Nikon f55(in India). although I have comprehended the carious function/modes of the camera , I have not been able to understand focus lock/dynamic focus in aft or manual mode, despite the instructions manual.when AF tried to move the command dial with AF nothing happened .will some one guide me in the matter.or which site I should refer to learn the focus lock etc with reference to f55.
thanks
vk wadhawan