Re: Neatimage sample - or too much free time...

Self Service <snapper@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> wrote/replied to:

>As before, I actually prefer the first shot (pre neatimage) or maybe it is the eye that spoils it on the treated one - it appears the treatment has blurred it slightly.
>If you have a "history brush" type tool on neatimage you could just not treat the eye-area the same way.  It's the same for me with unsharp mask in PS.  It improves the "look" of the feathers but spoils the look (enhances noise in) the eye.

Actually, my version of Neatimage works in Photoshop as a plug in, so
I can use the history brush. Or I can use masking, etc. Oh ya, forgot,
I treated everything with 16 bit colour, and that was limiting. In any
case, the test was not to show a final image, but the change made with
Neatimage.

I think you would find that when the image was printed, it would be
plenty sharp enough on the eye because of the relative size of it in
my extreme blow up.

>It's a shame (for the demo) it's a white bird.  I'd like to see how well it handled the feather detail.  In this shot it could be just that it's too white to tell.  At 68K for the size you have shown it jpeg will have killed any fine detail anyway.

Actually I wanted to pick a tough subject for the demo. I mean losing
detail in white features by smoothing is easy to see. Of course in a
web image again it's not so easy as it is for me here viewing the
original.

>PPS
>Is the raw really untreated?  Does not the camera do some work before you get even that.  I thought (a while back) I read that they filled in known dead pixels at a quite low level.

Well, this particular raw preview is actually generated in Capture
One. This was made directly after opening so nothing was changed in
it. Just an image to show the entire image and give an idea of the
crop size.

No comment on IS? Notice that this was shot at the relative rule of
the hand holding limit, 640mm, 1/760th of a sec. But IS works at all
shutter speeds. It even helps sharpen at the highest speeds.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://jimdavis.oberro.com
Replies in plain text only please!