Star Trail Fantasy - additional info

RE: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davidhazy.html

Just FYI - this photograph was made as an exersize in producing a fraud,
a fake, a hoax, by photographic means. It came out of a discussion in a
photoinstrumentation seminar where the topic centered around debunking of
photographs sent to me for validation of the existance of ghosts, galactic
force fields of alien origin and purported evidence of paranormal events.

Since we just had a visit from one of the world's leading astronomical
photographers, David Malin, we decided to simulate an image that many people
were familiar with. Namely star trails. And do it on Polaroid film rather than
digitally, although we did have a team that attempted this in that manner.
The fact that the image was "on film" would be a further clue to mislead
interpretation.

We constructed a "roof" made of black paper into which pinholes were poked to
simlulate the night sky. Several layouts of various constellations were
purposefully included. The "sky" was held in place by rods spanning the tops of
four heavy duty tripods at en elevation of about 1.8 metres (6 feet) above the
floor. Under the simulated sky we placed the camera on a turntable that could
be rotated at an adjustable rate. The camera was tipped at a slight angle to
move the "axis" stars away from the middle of the frame. Its elevation above
the horizon would be a clue as to the location of the camera on Earth.

Preliminary results were encouraging but we decided we needed some terrestrial
reference marks, namely some horizon or something that could be interpreted as
such. In the lab we had some N-gauge railroad building models. One of these was
suspended / propped up in front of the camera in such a manner that it would
rotate right along with the camera. Miniature foliage was added. The
illumination level on the building/trees was adjusted so it would only leave a
trace of exposure on the film.

We made exposures that would simulate elapsed times of a few hours to 12 or so
hours in duration by controlling the length of time the shutter was kept open
on "B" as the camera/barn scene were rotated under the sky. 12 hours was
stretching it a bit and we realized that trying to get out all clues of fakery
would entail more time than the 3 hours we had at our disposal. BTW,  the
"circles" it turns out are not perfect due to wobble in the turntable. Anyway,
it was, in fact, more fun to leave errors "in" because this would lead to
debate and discussion and learning.

I think that I have not left any major bit of information out and that you all
can smile about this and maybe suggest improvements or variations on the theme.

regards,

Andrew Davidhazy, School of Photographic Arts and Sciences/RIT
andpph@rit.edu                      http://www.rit.edu/~andpph