Commentary re: Exhibit photograps

RE: PF main exhibit photographs at: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
My reactions in general can be distilled into very short statements especially
if the photographs make a quick and positive or negative impression on me.

Guy Glorieux - Ste-Ursule's Falls - Easy to look at and feel the power of the
falls in the background - as stated this is probably better expressed in a
large print - 4.0*

Emily L. Ferguson - Myrrh???  But We need a shovel. - hmmmm ... I get it but
am not sure this translates well to a "universal" light-hearted comment. 3.0*

Christopher Strevens - Junction Near Clapham Junction 2 - nice derivative work
and am sure that work like this has an audience that would react very favorably
to it. I find it hard to relate to it myself though. 3.0*

WRGill - Dawn at Point Sur, Big Sur, CA - too dark and blurry, lacking visual
information and impact, 2.0*

Basil Saif Farhan - Emirates Towers Hotel - gloomy without something to bring
it out of that situation, position of building is too far right and bottom too
low for me. Finally I am generally botherd by converging verticals especially
now that even if one does not have perspective correction ability with camera
the option is often possible "post-photography". 2.0*

D.L. Shipman - I like this photograph - 4.0*

Per Ofverbeck - Leek - Simple and effective - 4.5*

Robert G. Earnest - Mazda Rx8 (X-men) - GREAT shot/illustration - 5.0*

Bob Talbot - Eternity - Very interesting and superbly finished as well
composition/illustration, would make very effective motivational poster. - 4.5*

Shawna Hanel - Cars - I think Shawna's work probably is best taken in the
context of her overall work rather than as stand-alone images. I like this one
though. 4.0*

Richard Kessler - Several nights before Christmas - Superior example of a group
photograph intended for commercial purposes - reminds me of the latest buzz
about a gigapixel image made by some person assembling close to 200 separate
images but here done for a more practical reason. 4.5*

Maybe to put some of my thoughts in context note that my main area of
photographic activity is technical and scientific in nature and I have
been told I am only a "dabbler", a "dilletante", when it comes to aesthetics.

Andy Davidhazy, School of Photographic Arts and Sciences/RIT
andpph@rit.edu                    http://www.rit.edu/~andpph