Gallery Review

A bit late, as usual...

D L Shipman, Charlotte Harbour: Absoutely beautiful as shown. The warm monochrome reminds me of old Cowe pics, but on closer look these hulls and sails are modern. A bit surprised by the overall fuzziness of the water: is there some Photoshop work behind? (Not that I see this as a negative, unless the image is presented as a document).

W R Gill, Portico: Despite the obviously bogus plasterwork, and the out-of-style ceiling, this looks like a cozy place; wouldn´t mind having my dinner there coming back from a Pt Lobos day... Nicely framed.

Shyrell Melara, Orange Day Lily: These flowers are IMPRESSIVE! Good composition and cropping, but the grey triangle in the right hand background is a bit distracting. Obviously the colours have suffered a lot from the return trip to GIF; hope you´ll have your colour problems sorted out soon.

Bob Talbot, Punishment: The obscene beauty of death... This is one I like: the softness of the ruffled feathers against the cold, hard, unrelenting wire mesh. Composition impeccable, perfect background. A grey crow, btw, like the Swedish ones; I thought GB was in the black crow area...

Dan Mitchell, Last Leaves: The kind of picture we all try to capture, repeatedly, every autumn. This one is good, with a quiet, muted background. I would have preferred the leaves without direct sun (but with the same contrast against the background).

Pablo Coronel, Bonita Pt: Yet another Pacific "sunset" (well, judging from the direction of the sun, it must be closer to noon)... Can´t say it really tells me something new.

Emily L Ferguson, once upon a time: Well, beyond the generic coziness of a warm cat, the picture wouldn´t really work without the added words. Now, words and picture form a unity and set a mood in a quite effective way. Good work!

David Small, At the Met: A fuzzy lady looking at a framed photograph or painting. Sorry, just cannot relate to it as shown. If you had backed away to get the lady almost full figure (and sharp), and the object of her perusal surrounded by some of the museum ambience, I think it would have been better (but perhaps I´m too conventional..).

Les Baldwin, Hot Nights: Extremely dramatic! A war scene with anachronistic details (which must have been the intention of the show arrangers). Great colour for the purpose, too. Perfectly timed.

Jimmy Kostiuck: I don´t believe this was intended as a normal portrait; if so, the colours have conked out totally. Seen in the context of much of today´s art scene (and I suppose it was intended that way), it works better.

C J R Strevens, Junction nr Clapham Jctn: Sorry, I much prefer last week´s straight version. Now the sense of textures, light and "autenticity" that made the picture, are all gone. It just looks "artsy".