Gallery Reviews 12-6-03

My opinions for the week based on personal bias and background.  : ) Another great Gallery.

D.L. Shipman-Charlotte Harbor 2002-At first glance, I thought this picture may have been taken in the earlier part of the last century. I really enjoy the b&w and tinted photographs of that era. From a short distance, this one looks great. On closer inspection, it sort of looks like the problems I've been having with my programs, slightly blurry and distorted around the boat area where the people are. That aside, I still like the over all effect with the tint.

Per Ofverbeck-This one looks like I've seen it before, or one very similar. Looks like my living room walls (a compliment), blue at the top, white on the bottom with a splash of red all around. A really nice shot with good placement of the skiers.

WRGill-Portico Village corner restaurant, Carmel, CA-Another good composition. I'm really liking the color scheme in this one. The walls compliment the tables; the greens in the flowers with the trim, the seated lady's outfit and the bushes outside; the plumb seats matching the floor in front of the register. The angle of the window may bother someone else, but I find it rather pleasing in conjunction with the rest of the room, looking in without being obtrusive.

Shyrell Melara-Orange Day Lilly-Mine. I hope this one will be better accepted than my last submissions. I'm finally getting a handle on all this GIF verses JPEG grief.

Bob Talbot-Punishment-Poor bird. The subject matter is disturbing though I know the reason for it. As for the picture itself, nice close up shot with the light highlighting the subject. I like the out of focus background. Less distracting that way. This photo works. I'm just squeamish. Question, how is the bird staying in place? I can't see any visible signs of what's holding him up.

Dan Mitchell-Last Leaves-Beautiful lighting effects. Did you add any fill lighting? It appears as though the light is coming in from the left and the front. I'm sorry to see the decay on the leaves. Did you make a series of these? I'd like to see more.

Pablo Coronel-Bonita Point-I'm having trouble finding the lighthouse. No offence intended. Maybe I'm not looking right. Is it the tiny cone like structure on the rocks in the middle of the picture? I love the over all effect of the orange colors against the black rocks. Altogether, another good shot for a brochure or a greeting card.

Emily L. Ferguson-Once upon a time-Your spouse should have curled up with the cat. It is so comforting. I have four cats myself now, the oldest is seven and the youngest, twins are five months. This photo works for me, too. But then I am a bit bias to the subject matter. I like the color pallet and though the background is a bit busy and in conflict with the foreground, it isn't distracting. A royal prince/princess sleeping amid the hubbub of the kingdom.

David Small-At the Met-This appears to be a woman looking at a photo framed and hung on the wall. But then it also looks like she is looking through a glass into another room. Will you tell us which one is right? I like the way the reflection on the glass makes it look as though there are angels moving among the crowd. A bit out of focus, but good composition and complimentary colors.

Les Baldwin-Hot nights-Fascinating, captivating. You clicked that shutter at just the right moment. Was anyone hurt?

Jimmy Kostiuk-This could possible make for a beautiful b&w portrait. Unfortunately, the yellow cast is making this subject look a bit sick, jaundiced (a liver ailment). He looks as though he was having a good time. Try this in black and white then resubmit or post to a web page. I'm really interested in seeing it again. I think there will be a good tonal quality with wonderful gradation.

Christopher Strevens-Junction Near Clapham Junction-My pick of the week, lift and all. I used to collect comic books when I was a kid. Funny thing for a girl to do, aye? Chris, will you tell us all the steps you took and the program you use? I'd like to try this myself.

So those are my opions for this week. It's good to be seeing a full gallery again. Happy shooting!

Shyrell

http://yadtel.net/~jmelara