how do you work & backup?

hi all..
since the issue of jpegs vs tiffs is still on, i thought another one on our methods of work and backup would be OK

so here is how i work...

i have all my photos in the "my pictures" directory, 'cos there the WinMe slideshow runs...
I usually do not need anything better 'cos all i use it for is to check the unworked scans and finished photos for their appearance as a group...and the viewing preference is set to thumbnails of course...

in that directory i have 3 major ones.
1. finished projects/sessions
(there one can find directories ofthe final versions of each project, saved in LZW compressed tiffs, RGB versions of the B&W photos for printing in Fuji Digi Labs, and maybe web versions of them)
2. projects on the run
(every project in its own directory)
3. others (assorted scans,my logos and sigs, etc)
in simple temrs it is set as a 3 tree forest with main and secondary branches

and i work as follows

whenever i have a new set of scans, i make a copy of the originals for backup in another directory for obvious reasons

PS worked photos are usually 5x7 tiffs, that are backuped in CDRW after every day's work, with the multisession/refresh features of Ahead Nero ...this allows to fill the uncompleted CDRW, as many times as you wish, and it also compares the files and renews or deletes them from the CDRW, based on what exists in the directory you are refreshing

upon finishing the projects' directory as a whole, i move it to the finished ones dir, and is also burned on a gold, good quality cdr...usually it takes 2 or 3 projects of tiffs to nearly fill the cdr, leaving a free of 100-150MB for features addition of reworked photos...

so in principle, i work as following

work each project,save it in a different directory and backup it in CDRW every time.Upon completion in move to finished project area, backup it in cdr, and i erase the scanned negative originals ** ...this way i *always* have an instant and a backup access to it, and it is easily back-uped

(it all comes from a bad experience of the pc returning the primal condition of just installed WInMe with no apps existing and no way to burn copies of the files - we had to physically move the hard drive to another pc to save the files before formating it)

** i know that alot of you would never do that but it works for me these days...whatever new version of a photo will come from rescanning it.i do not mind the process, cos i am still in the start of phot retouching and scanning, and i always find a better way to it...

now, I cannot understand why some of you need to have a special programm like thumbs+ for finding images....it is all a matter of walking the irectory path fors me...i find it easy anmd comfie
(or it is not ,and i am a No1 masochist?)

so what are your practices?

cheers, kostas

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå ôï äéêü óáò web site êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!