Re: What does everyone use?

I think most will agree that either of the two more recent Nikon Coolscans is a safe and capable choice. B&H has the 4000 for under $500 after you get the rebate.

The camera question is totally tied in to how you use the camera and which platform you are already committed to. If you're a Canon person, get the most professional Canon you can afford - I think it's the 10D, but the price on the new digital Rebel is attractive. If you're a Nikon person you have a choice between the D100 and the D2x or h. (I forget which letter it is.) These pro level digital cameras all have assets and liabilities which you have to study and compare to figure out which way to go. Then you need to go eavesdrop on the Nikon and Canon lists to figure out which models are about to be upgraded, so you don't pay too much.

I firmly believe that Photoshop is the standard image processing software at present. There are others, and they all have adherents who will declare that they're better than PS. But it's not really a Mac vs PC question. Photoshop is the standard in the trade. Adobe is boss. Canon and Nikon are neck and neck. Macs are holding their own by a hair, Windows is really kludgily designed and Mr. Gates is a low baller in the Stock and Assignment photography industry, no matter how many apparently good things he does with his obscene wealth.

So get on eBay and see where you can cut corners and have a conversation with B&H about just how much money you have to save up or borrow or beg for this holiday season.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@cape.com