Re: Jobo Autolab ATL-1000 processor question

Rev. Sidney Flack wrote:
does anyone have any recomendations for compensation from
>> intermittent aggitation (tank inversion) to rotary processing?

Apologies for this untimely response. Perhaps it is not too late.

Perhaps for my initial tests, but still useful.

The lack of alternate temperatures are a problem, but only if you need anything other than 75ºF / 24ºC.

I'm rapidly getting used to 24C processing. It has always been difficult to cool things down that much anyway, and then there was always the problem of keeping them that cool during processing -- not that I've worried about that too much. :-)

The only information I can give you beyond what you already have is the RPM used most for B&W is 50RPM. If you are using Kodak Film, go to their website and down load the PDF files for the films you use.

I tend not to use Kodak. Often I use Ilford film in Agfa chemistry and a colour enlarger (diffuse light source). It's an odd mix to start with, and experimentation is my best guide.

...excellent information to get you started...

Yes, I've followed the general advice. I was just checking to see if there was anything beter, or helpful hints from the experienced.

I'm sure I've told you what you already know. But I hope it's helpful.

Thanks Sidney. It's always helpful to get confirmation of what you're expecting.

But it's always scary the first time you commit something important to a new(ish) process.

Let me relate my experience...

After running a few dry runs, and done a basic test, a close relative died. It just so happens that I had a roll of film with some very recent images of her with myself and my sons.

As there were few images of her taken in the last 10 years or so (she did not like photographs of herself) these were rather important to me.

In the 4 days preceeding her funeral (I know -- I work slowly) I developend the film, printed the image, spotted it (you didn't hear me say that) and had it framed.

Well, during development, I failed to have the Jobo's pump horizontal in the water tank. So, the initial pre-soak was done with very little water (I believe almost none). I didn't notice this until the pre-soak had been dumped and the dev loaded. (my fingers were crossed that the film was either evenly wet or evenly dry).

Then, about half way through processing I discovered that the quantity of dev I had used was actually insufficient. I had calculated the quantity based on a single film in the small tank with the spacer thing in the tank (but I hadn't placed the spacer in the tank). Natually the images I most needed wer on the inside of the spiral, being the first on the roll. The fact that I was a little generous probably saved the day.

The development was actually nice and even. One thing I noted however, was that the leader of the film was not fully developed. I had enough developer, but only just.

The image was actually one of the hardest I've had to print, for a number of reasons.

At her funeral it was placed alongside another image taken in, I suppose, the late 1930's or early 1940s.

If I get the time, I might submit it to the gallery. It's not a great image, but its one of the most important I've taken.

Steve