RE: gallery reviews

Excellent message Allen

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu
[mailto:owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu] On Behalf Of Alan Zinn
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 1:01 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: gallery reviews

Hope nobody minds starting a new thread RE reviews.
I think reviews can reflect the same educational, casual, open-forum nature
of the gallery.  If someone simply wants to award gold stars 'cause they
like the picture that's fine. Nobody should get angry if a reviewer just
doesn't "get" their picture or points out what they think are flaws. On the
other hand, I don't see anything wrong with replying if it's in the spirit
of clarification. There are too few opportunities to answer our critics.
Doing reviews should ideally improve one's understanding of
pictures.  Reading about how to criticize art is important to those doing
art I think. There are basics the same as there are to making a picture

"Critical judgements are different from preferences.  Preferences do not
require reasons and preferences are rarely disputed. Critical judgements,
however, do require reasons and do invite counterargument because their
consequences are important. Also, statements of preference tell us more
about the person making the statements than the object in question."

Terry Barrett, "Criticizing Photographs"  P.121

AZ

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.
NOW SHIPPING