Gallery personal opinions for 27 Oct 03

As we all know, the gallery is located at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html. These are my personal and perhaps compositional rule challenged opinions of the images found there.

Trevor Cunningham (Take it all while you can) - Well you gotta admire their choice of advertising icons. "When you're robbing a tomb you need a getaway horse you can rely on, come see Crazy Khufu just a block from the pyramids!" I like your showing the back of the sign and including the pyramid in the shot but the two seem to be crowding each other and the sign almost blends with the buildings behind (in front of) it giving me the impression of confusion.

Shawna Hanel (Creation) - Perhaps its my sailor blood but the post and the plastic wrap look like the bow of a ship to me. The color of the plastic is quite dominant and both those things diminish the little red and green plant sprouting up which, judging by your title, is the subject of your image. My eye does at first go to the red but it is quickly drawn along the lines of the plastic to the post and up out of the top of the image and away from the plant.

Per Ofverbeck (Last Supper) - This is an interesting composition. The first thing I noticed was that the bottle in the upper left seemed purposely spaced within the frame of the image while the plates were randomly scattered. But if you look closely the plates form a rough 'S' with the glass cup almost in the upper curve and the dented metal can in the lower curve. I like that subtle rule following. If you didn't arrange things, I wonder if another photographer before you did.

Pini Vollach (Windows to Estonia) - Definitely the worst view of Estonia that I have seen. Peeter's Estonia is usually quite beautiful. This image is painful to me. I have to get close to the monitor to read the nasty words and when I do, the windows draw my eyeballs in opposite directions which gives me a headache. Jeff Spirer has a photo of a road that does that to me too. Quite cruel I'd say. I like the contrast of blue sky and graffiti but I think I would prefer just one window.

Jose Luiz Vasconcellos (Rock, earth, life) - I like the title and this is another amazing shot coming from a Brownie. The image almost has a panoramic feel to it with the three, peaceful, unending rows. Very nice contrast also from old film. How old did you say it was?

Dan Mitchell (Denver Windmill) - Maybe windmills just stand out to me because I don't live near any but they sure seem to crop up a lot as subjects in the PF gallery. My problem is that nobody ever gets close enough to them so that I can see any detail. Well there was one image taken so close you could see all the shredded fabric which was nice. Anyway, if nothing else, that foreground tree just has to go. Other than that, move in so I can really see the thing. Show me what it is about a windmill that interests you (or makes you keep your distance from them).

Emily L. Ferguson (on the water surface) - Lovely, rich colors. Nice contrast of pointy needles and delicate, round bubbles. I noticed most if not all of your shots are hand held. Do you ever use a tripod? This is shot is pretty clear but would you not rather have it as sharp as possible? To me this is the kind of subject that screams for a tripod. It's not going anywhere and its full of small detail.

Jim *Duck* Davis (Peaceful Panning) - That's one honkin' big bill. Nice symmetry with the reflection and nice highlights from the sun on its head and shoulders.

Veli Cigirgan - Interesting darkness. I would be tempted to crop out the legs and most of the background though. To me there is some mystery with just the heads and the fingers but with the legs and bench visible, it looks like two people watching a show. I've never been able to get a decent shot in light like this though.

Jeff Spirer (Alcatraz) - They sky is what is phenomenal here. The little hint of doorway leaves me wanting to see more but the sky is absolutely outstanding. The way the clouds almost frame the tower and the way they seem to disperse from that little antenna on that gun mount on the left is great. And of course the cloud patterns are echoed in the stone walls themselves. The hills are alive with the sounds of torture.

Bob Talbot (Whodunit) - Here we see horrific carnage atop a delicious brownie. Its interesting that since these are dismembered insect parts, we more or less shrug it off. If this were on your bumper you might even curse. Our sense of loss is directly related to the size of the creature killed. Had this been three limbs from a kitten, different story. Still a loss of life but in this case a teeny little life. From a purely compositional perspective, I like the layout of the shapes and the contrast or textures with the grainy leaves and the more slick concrete. It looks like art to me and I love stumbling upon scenes like this and being aware enough to capture it on film.

Thank you for whatever part you played in this exhibit whomever you are.

Greg Fraser
Slapper of Newts
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery