Re: Dirty Pictures

When not in use, cover the scanner with a towl, a shoebox, a toaster cover,
or whatever, to physically keep dust out (are you a smoker like me?)

A post by Ralf R. Radermacher on cleaning the Nikon scanner, from another
newsgroup:

"Dust collects on a mirror that is
easily accessible from the front of the scanner. Try this:

1. Remove any film carrier from the scanner.

2. Turn the scanner on, and wait for the carrier to advance towards the
front of the scanner.

3. As the carrier moves close to the front, turn the scanner off to stop
it.

4. You'll be able to see the mirror and the lens of the scanner by
looking at the inside of the scanner. The mirror is probably covered
with dust.

5. Gently clean the mirror. I try to blow dust off of it, then
carefully clean it with a Q-tip and some Kodak lens-cleaning fluid.

6. Replace the film carrier and turn the scanner back on, and scan a
test image.

It should look far better after the mirror is cleaned. Good as new,
in fact.

The lens typically does not become dirty, so you don't have to clean
that."

Maris