Self serving gallery review for 17 Nov 03

The PF Gallery can be found at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
and my review of the images found there can be found here although the quality of the review may be tempered by what sounds like short duration sonar pings coming from the floor above me. Dive! Dive!

Peeter Vissak - The reflection is not so blurry as to be obviously a reflection at first glance until one notices the inverted boat. I know this type of shot has been done before but what photo/story/painting hasn't? Perhaps its the sinking boat that strikes a particular chord today due to my apparently imminent depth charging but I find the boat and building somehow work well together. By the way Bob was right about the bright patch of grass working better with the image inverted.

Laurenz Bobke (Gorge at Dawn) - The dark edges could be the darkness closing in or it could be the breaking of dawn however, the apparently slanted horizon gives me the heebie jeebies when mixed with the dark edges of the frame so I would say darkness closes in. I think this is the first saturated blue image that has made me feel that way. Bravo!

Bob Talbot (Insect) - Your generic title 'insect' interests me. Usually people who take this much care in shooting a bug at least put the common name of the bug if not the Latin name. So I get the feeling you care little about this specimen. However, you have a double frame on the image which seems to indicate that you took some pride in the shot as a whole. I love the colors of the background. They remind me of a pair of checkered pants I really liked as a kid in the '60s. (Not exactly macho but I'm into color). I don't think I've ever seen as bright and cheery a background for an insect shot before and that's what I really like. The whole shot is light and airy like the mosquito. Her head is mostly sharp but her body is blurring into the background and any second she'll realize there's no blood to be had on that sheet of glass and she'll be out of there. This shot shows none of the static formality of many bug shots. Yippee!

Per Ofverbeck (Happy Family) - Hey they do look happy. Dad even has a smile as they comfortably rest in their formal, wool suits on a hot, summer day. Pleasant pastoral scene but a bit more light on the subjects would be nice. Man, I wish I was laying there right now.

Alberto Tirado (e-Clipse) - The composition is ok and I like the industrial horizon although there is a lot of emptiness at the edges. I like the way the moon is beginning to glow again.

Gregory david Stempel (Mopping Up) - Hah! This man is in fact doing the opposite of mopping up since he's spilling water everywhere. I know what you're going to say though. 'I meant it that way. The title is allegorical.' Good for you. Its an interesting scene with all the smoke and steam and the person leaning into the mess.

Emily L. Ferguson (Flash on floor) - Ah now the color shifting makes sense. Here's the table's evil side. The shadows are now claws and the floor has become boiling clouds. A storm's a brewin here like Linda Blair on a bad day. You should put a bowl of pea soup on the table. Great example of the power of lighting.

Shawna Hanel (Pachyderm) - This is far too much saturation for my liking and I cannot figure out why it should be so intense. Actually I don't really understand the elephant in the grass thing either. I know, I know, you intended it that way.

Jose Luis Vasconcellos - Yes blurry and high contrast but shot at approximately 1/25th sec from a moving boat on severely outdated film on a camera with the most modest of viewfinders (if any). I enjoy using my Brownie but the inherent restrictions are enough without adding very old film to the process. I commend your ability to get anything.

Veli Cigirgan - A study in something whose name eludes me. The name in the thumbnail gallery is Veli Cigirgan but the name below the image is Veli Izzet. Also, most of the people except one are ignoring the arrow which points to the right and they are looking to the left even though the one woman who dared put her arm out has found that it is rapidly dissolving. What was the point of throwing the darts? Were prizes to be won?

Jim Davis (Walking on Water) - Yes you caught the water droplets but it lacks your usual technical quality. Grain is showing (or noise) and it looks like a crop of a small area of a negative (image file). Now if this were my photo the blurriness would be another story but people have higher expectations of your photos.

Trevor Cunningham (Birqash Camel Market) - The thing I like best about this is that they have camel markets downtown. I am not too familiar with your work but I would think that Mamiya 645 would give a clearer image than this. It has the look of an early 20th century photo.

Thanks too all the contributors and gallery staff and lets keep the gallery down to 10 or less from now on. This takes all day.

Greg Fraser
Slapper of Newts
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery