RE: Review of 2003-11-15 PhotoForum Gallery

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu
[mailto:owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Talbot
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 12:04 AM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Review of 2003-11-15 PhotoForum Gallery

Hi,

First thanks for the critic.

It was not aimed as a street shot, nor as a snapshot. It was meant to be a
witness of the making of contemporary art, as the artist (not the woman
behind the barrier- she is only the guard) that put the whole setup there
could have imagined. My aim was not to capture the dart, but to capture the
movement. Luckily, I needed only two shots.

As for the movement of the dart, my old digital canon G1 does not have rear
flash synch, however in the digital world, this is not a very big problem.
But this time, I did not want to post process.

As the main object is the"movement of the hand" in this image, the arrow
seems aptly placed (This I did not plan in adavnce, though).

Regards,
Veli Cigirgan

Veli Cigirgan -
How do I read this shot?
Is it "street"?  Is it a snapshot? How much thought went in to it?

It's beautifully exposed - really nice texture and colour.

Catching the blur of the hand just a moment after the dart left: the crowd
intent on seeing art in the making?  I do wish the blur of the dart was
visible - with 2nd curtain flash to highlight it - that would have taken a
lot of luck.

What of the woman behind the barrier?  The artist or just a guard? Does she
help or is she a distraction.  Perversely I think "what if" about the arrow
on the far wall.  What if it had been a bit lower - aligned with her eye.
Curiosity got me - just tried it.  Oops, yes, it exaggerates the woman's
gaze. http://www.st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk/tempery/cigirgan-2.jpg

Would it be better still for the arrow not to be there?
Just tried that too and no, it seems part of the picture now. Or should I
say, now I've seen it I wouldn't have it any other way.  Bit like me missus
actually ;o)

All said and considered there is something I like about this shot.

Bob