Re: Review: PF Galleries on 11/8/03

> I don't think it is so much a matter of "rules" as the fact that
there are
> indeed (maybe) statistically predictable audience reactions when a
group is
> shown a given photograph. Photographers can choose to exploit these
> "conventions" or choose to ignore them. However, it seems to me is
is useful to
> be aware of what these conventional photointerpratetion "rules" are
so that if
> one wants to "break" them one does so knowingly and successfully and
not
> haphazardly.

Andy

A good reminder of the fact that the rules are really only
"guidelines" after all.

The "teenager effect" (breaking rules just because there are rules) is
not a guaranteed recipe for producing  good  photos.   Sometimes
alternative compositions are just more appropriate: other times a
photo gets all it's visual effect by going against the norm.  Such
photos have short lived appeal.  Once others start copying the
technique it becomes a fad and very soon hackneyed.

The position in the frame "rule":  as you note, the important thing is
that photographers *think* about where to place things in the frame
rather than specifying that they MUST always be one side or the other.
Most beginners point the camera straight at the subject  - err, so do
a couple of wildlife pro.s I know [ In their case it is, quote,
"letting the magazine decide where they want the space". ;o) ]

In Leslie's image I liked the monk looking out BUT ONLY because the
drummer to the right acted as a foil.  The picture failed to be great
because, unlike an NG photographer, he didn't pay the third guy to get
right out of the frame ;o)

A bad judge (reviewer) just like a bad photographer may rely too
heavily on the rules.  Often though when a reviewer quote the rules
it's not because they are assessing a photo by how well it adheres,
more likely they just don't like the photo as shown and "the rules"
are a convenient way to explain why not ...

Bob