Re: color me confused.............(so what else is new)

Qkano <wildimages@lineone.net> wrote/replied to:

>I'm interested though: how do digital cameras "do" WB?   When are the
>decisions actually made?  When are they implemented by the system?  Is
>any processing done before the data gets moved from the CCD to the
>"raw-file" or is it all as the monochrome R,G,B and G channels are
>translated into RGB.

At least in Canon DSLR RAW files, all adjustments are simply
parameters recorded within the file - the actual data of the image
does not change whatsoever. The WB, like all other adjustments are
applied in software in the computer after. Camera parameters like WB
become the default for RAW files, and are applied in camera to JPG
images before they are written to the CF card. But I don't worry too
much about any of that bullshyte, because I  NEVER SHOOT JPG.

I do all my adjustments by hand in Capture One LE. I have found by
keeping the camera at daylight WB that I at least get a consistant
default WB. That makes changing any series shot in the same light easy
to WB with one click, and anything shot in sunlight needs no WB
change. I do small WB tweaking when I feel it improves the image of
course. All other parameters I tweak entensively in C1LE. And this
takes only seconds and is the part I enjoy - the digital darkroom.

So fiddling with things like WB in camera, or shooting in AWB just
makes more work for me. Of course for someone who does not own a copy
of Capture One, things are going to be much different. The Canon RAW
conversion software is enough to make anyone shoot in JPG and worry
about WB.