metareview WAS Re: one-word review

On 4 Nov 2003 at 9:23, Emily L. Ferguson wrote:

> What do you all think?  Not about Rick's review but about reveiwing. --
> Emily L. Ferguson mailto:elf@cape.com

I have only contributed a few reviews, but I have half-written far
more. I find the task very difficult.

I have tried to say more than "I like it" or something akin, but have
been concerned that longer reviews (at least of mine) have the
tendency to be complicated ways of saying "_I_ like it".

What I mean is that there are certain things to explore
photographically and others I don't. My review opinions are in real
danger of being determined by whether I could have seen myself
enjoying taking the photograph. For instance, (assuming I recall
aright) some while back Emily contributed a photo of a few sails and
a mast that I liked a great deal because the abstraction in it
appealed to me. I had a difficult time finding anything (positive or
negative) to say about the more documentary style sailing photograph
she submitted a few weeks later (the one where a man was being
instructed in how to use some sort of crank -- a sailor I'm not!)
Similarly, Jim's nature photos of various birds are difficult to
comment upon because they don't particularly interest me.

In all such cases where I am not too interested in the photos, I
realize that is due to my particular interests at least as much as
the photos themselves. (I could well imagine someone with Jim's
photographic interests being equally uninterested in abstract
photography, for example.) Writing reviews (even those I don't
finish!) has been a very valuable exercise in that it forces me to
think about photographic challenges and issues that I simply ignore
in my own photography. But I don't feel as though I've had great
success yet.

Stepping out of my photographic problems and challenges and into
someone else's is just plain hard! I commend the exercise to those
who haven't tried it.

Best,

Brian van den Broek