RE: lens (not a ) malfunction question

Hi Lea,

It is not a malfunction but considered a feature of this type of zoom. In all the years I have been in photography both in sales and as a pro this is one issue never “corrected” by any good maker of zoom/verifocals. Most of the lenses fall into two categories the push/pull or the dual twist. The dual twist is usually a faster lens (2.8 3, 3.5 etc) and the push / pull usually has lower speed but greater focal lengths. Canon makes/made a 100-300 5.6 L push/pull that was a dog speed wise but light and very sharp. They still make the 100-400 5.6L and it is a push/pull and has the same trombone effect. The 70-200 2.8 L a dual twist and suffers no trombone but is not as easy to zoom and focus at the same time, it takes some practice to learn to use quickly.

The best answer I have seen is simply some gaffers tape if you need to keep the lens at a particular focal length, just put at the point on the barrel where you want it to stop.

I hope this helps,

Les Baldwin