Re: lens malfunction question [Canon EOS]

<<
I rather doubt this is a feature of the IS lens line but since it's my
only IS lens, I'm wondering if this is normal. >>

Lea

It may well be normal: Iooked at a couple of examples of that lens in camera shops and both showed that behaviour.  I didn't buy them for precisely that reason.   If I owned one I'd probably come up with a non-destructive fudge involving tape / wide rubber bands.

Maybe Willem-Jan knows the definitive answer.

Bob