From: owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu
[mailto:owner-photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu]On Behalf Of Gregory
Fraser
Sent: 30 October 2003 18:13
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Dimming hot lights

I understand that the suggested way of adjusting the light level of hot
lights would be to move the light, use a reflector or diffusion material
etc. but I was wondering about just using a household dimmer. I bought some
old 650 watt movie lights and I looked in the local hardware store where it
seems all the dimmer switches were rated at 600 watts.

>From my probably incorrect understanding of electricity, a 650 watt lamp at
110v will draw 5.9 amps. A 600 watt dimmer will safely allow 5.5 amps of
current. Is that .4 amps the light wants to force through the dimmer going
to add a lot of excitement to my shoot, just make the dimmer very warm or
not have any noticeable effect?

Greg