Re: Dimming hot lights

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Fraser" <Gregory.Fraser@pwgsc.gc.ca>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 2:12 AM
Subject: Dimming hot lights

> I understand that the suggested way of adjusting the light level of hot
lights would be to move the light, use a reflector or diffusion material
etc. but I was wondering about just using a household dimmer. I bought some
old 650 watt movie lights and I looked in the local hardware store where it
seems all the dimmer switches were rated at 600 watts.

> >From my probably incorrect understanding of electricity, a 650 watt lamp
at 110v will draw 5.9 amps. A 600 watt dimmer will safely allow 5.5 amps of
current. Is that .4 amps the light wants to force through the dimmer going
to add a lot of excitement to my shoot, just make the dimmer very warm or
not have any noticeable effect?

maybe an autotransformer would get you out of a pickle Greg.. might be
lartge though ;-)