Gallery review: 2003-10-18

PhotoForum gallery/exhibit space was updated 18 Oct. 03.
Stuff now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

Scott Thurmond - Bumble Bee Dahliance
Bee, central.  Flower, central.  Background: very contrasty with many
bright reflections, presumably off leaves.
The image is presented not-quite-square.

The shot was taken parallel to the petals: it's very colourful.  The
bee's antennae are sharp enough yet the body leaves me with the
impression of lack of detail.  It's not a DOF effect because the
background is quite un-boken.

I'm interested the  shot but not enraptured with it.  My memory
whisper "polariser" but that would have given a slower shutter.

I just wish the bits that should be crisp were crisper and the bits we
didn't want to see were less prominent.

Shawna Hanel - Little Red Bread Tie
A square format shown square.  Unusual subject matter: rubbish
(US=trash).    The subject id again presented centrally: I'm looking
now at the foreground going out of focus and thinking that somehow
bokeh is more acceptable behind the subject.  If this was a portrait
format shot then I'd have been tempted to keep it square but lose some
of the base.

On to the picture proper. Was it staged or an "objet trouves". I like
the plain earthy background.  I don't like the shiny white reflections
on the right hand side of the tag.  How was it lit?

It's good to see mundane subjects being used as subject matter.

Kostas Papakotas - Olympus-Naoussa Restaurant
"This frame was scanned by accident as a color negative one, and I
kinda liked the effect. Levels and contrast adjusted, but not
sharpened awaiting your comments on the lost focusing point
appearance. "

Kostas: I like the scene and the "arrangement" of the photo.  If you
ask about the sharpness: no, I don't like it. It looks like everything
is soft - partly the net curtains I'm sure (you used a tripod?).  But
scans just tend to be softer then the original and sharpening
(unsharp-masking anyway) seems to put back what technology took away.

No, can't rave about this as shown but if it had been sharp in places
I may well have done.

Tim Mulholland - Silhouette of the Present
"This picture is a symbol of the past, present and future, and the
history, hopes and progress of a country, a family and an individual "

OK, before reading your explanation I was intrigued by the shot.  You
deliberately showed it with so much black surround instead of cropping
in some as many would have done.  I love the silhouetted head against
the farmland.  A simple but effective combination.

As the  text: it has mixed feelings for me.  "All property is
theft".  Well, nothing proves that better than the USA.  Stolen from
the native Americans by force.  There is no chance of them coming
"back from Siberia and being able to repossess their lands.  At one
time Great Britain had an empire (mostly theft too) but we've had to
let it go.  The last vestige: Hong Kong returned to China at the end
of the lease.  In all upheavals there are personal tragedies.  The
Soviets believed in Collectives - maybe they were wrong.  Now they're
a spent force the free world can reduce it's arms spending because
they are no longer a threat. People get their homes back and the
children lose their school.  Everything has consequences.

The photo: I still like it ...

Greg Fraser - Eve
Yea right: you downloaded this from the internet somewhere to try to
impress us?  Vlad made you do it?

Seriously: an absolutely brilliant portrait to my
un-portrait-trained-eye.  What were you doing a couple or so weeks
ago?  Showing us mediocre badly-lit, badly-posed portraits and asking
for advise?  Well, if this is yours you learned FAST.

What do I like?  The eyes have it: crystal clear both of them.
Bella-donna or was the model in subdued light (to give the large
pupils).

The mouth?  What, no teeth.  Real or did you PS them out.  It does not
matter because the mouth, slightly open conveys emotion.  Which
emotion
I'm not sure.  Surprise?  Question?  Uncertainty?  Don't know.

The whole arrangement is class: the shown-as-black clothing frames her
neck well.

Brilliant shot Greg.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Sarah
"Santa Barbara Mission, Santa Barbara, CA Two kittens playing at the
Cat/Canine Assistance, Referral and Education pet sanctuary. "
Maralyn: this photo is of a woman: not two kittens.  Is it really
Maralyn's work?
the woman in the portrait is central but facing from the side.  Unlike
Greg's shot the eyes just don't seem to be sharp and I'm told that
always spoils a portrait (well, one of them should be).

Sure, it's a nice enough portrait of the woman, uncluttered, I'm sure
her mom would love it but for me it ain't working.  Is the original
sharper?  I hope so.

Emily L. Ferguson -
That bright white strip of haze is bizarre.  If you'd not have
explained I might have thought is as a road with dust just kicked up
by a now-gone car.  The lighting is interesting for sure.  The picture
has a layered quality (three horizontal bands) but if it lacks
anything it is something to break this repetition.  The trees don't
look sharp (despite a tripod) so I'm assuming it must have been the
haze as well.

Richard Cooper - Genesee River in Fall Colors
What an odd place to find a rainbow: it isn't even raining.  Lots of
saturation in this shot. The foreground vegetation is definitely an
important part of the whole image: so lush it gives depth to the
valley and maybe even hides some buildings (???).  The sky is
summery-clear.  the bridge, chimney and building work well together.
It's sharp enough to my eyes.

Could it be better?  How about a red truck crossing the bridge 1/3 way
across ?

Nice picture.

Don Draper -
Saturation.

Two flowers (tulips?)in direct sunlight: no doubt about it, they are
RED.
One is whole and intact: the other is part shown with two fallen
petals.
The lighting is hard and directional: sharp-edged shadows on the soil
(US=dirt).

I again think "polariser".  Would it have removed those reflective
highlights?  If it had, would it have improved the shot or just
flattened it?

Thanks to all the contributors for getting me thinking about pictures
again.
No allowance was made for how good the original might have been
relative to the scaled-down versions we are able to transmit over the
web.
That's life.

Bob

"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: Those
who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be
in the first group; there was much less competition."
-- Indira Gandhi