Re: Gallery Reviews 10-11-03

Thanks for the reviews and suggestions.

>>Fletcher Jernigan - Geometry
Balls! Balls, I say! Fuzzy balls. With sharp edges. And unsharp
centers. What's up with that? I think the selection tool used when eliminating
the background in the editing program could have had a little more feathering
so the edges weren't quite so distinct and the rest of the picture sharpened a
little. Other than that I like it, even if it does seem a little unnatural.
Rich Mason<<

Thanks Rich. The background is a foamcore mounting board 11" x 14". My "studio" for copying and close-ups is a patio just outside my back door. There is a six foot roof overhang with a white ceiling eight above the floor. It has a southern exposure to mostly blue sky but with some green foliage for part of the year. I believe the latter contributed to the slight green cast of the foamcore background.

The subject is a 15" twig with the balls that I found laying under the Sycamore tree in the back yard. There was no green in the balls or the twig. For photographing, it was held upright by a soldering aid device with alligator clips and was three or four inches in front of the background. No other lighting was added or subtracted. When I opened the image in my editor program, I was surprised to see that there were no shadows.

I like your opening exclamation. If I had thought of it, I might have used it as the title...or maybe not.<G>

>>Fletcher Jernigan - Geometry
As a thumbnail I thought this looked like it would be truly stunning:
a simple graphical arrangement: high-key (like haiku?)

Opened up however I was a little dissappointed with the technical
quality.  I feel I should be able to resolve fine detail on the yellow
balls but they seem to be OOF of the front face. Or was it motion
blur.

Sorry Fletcher: this show was so nearly stunning.  Great idea, great
vision but the lack of sharpness is not helping me to really enjoy it.

Bob Talbot<<

Bob, I agree. I made a larger print with a much higher resolution. There is more detail in the upper ball, but not enough. I took the focus the camera handed me...should have forced the focus on the lower ball. The DOF probably would have extended far enough or I could have stopped down. I did use a tripod with a remote firing device. Thanks.

>>Fletcher Jernigan - "Geometry"
Artistic photograph of sycamore balls hanging from a branch.  My favorite
this week.  It appears to be a toned print, with the background removed.
There is a nice balance to the overall picture, which lends an almost
restful quality to it.  It reminds me of those botanical illustrations from
the 18th and 19th century.  My only quibble is, like those illustrations, it
appears very static and lacking in dimension.   What pray tell is "Pw31?"
T. Scott Thurmond<<

Scott, thanks. The "toned" appearance is natural. As mentioned above, there was no "green" left in the twig or the balls. As to "Pw31", it is the short title of the picture editing program "Picture Window Pro Version 3.1", a product of Digital Light & Color.

Fletcher