Re: Andrew and the breaking Boule

> Imagine my pleasant surprise, when reading an old large format book I have,
> I see an interesting image of a "breaking boule" and the photo credit was
> Andrew Davidhazy. Salute! So, what is a breaking boule?

Gregory,

The book was View Camera Technique by Les Stroebel. A veritable "giant"
in photographic education and my teacher and friend.

A boule in the context of that application is a volume of liquid that floats
on
superheated liquid from which the bouls is made by catching the evaporating
gas, condensing it and returning it just above the surface of the hot liquid.

"Miraculously" the returning condensate, instead of merging with the bulk
material often forms a thin vapor layer between the  two and starts to float
on it. As more and more condensed material is added to the small drop that
started to float the volume gets bigger and bigger, sometimes approaching
50 cc or more, but eventually  the thin vapor layer  separating the two is
compromised and the floating "boule" merges quite rapidly  with the
superheated bulk liquid.

My task at the time was to try to learn as much about the behavior of
boules and particularly to try to determine where the breakdown of the
vapor layer preferentially started.

I did this work in the late 1960s and much of what I did for the Distillation
Research Lab directed by Dr. KCD Hickman (another fantastic person and
to whom I owe a lot) was published in several issues of the Journal of the
Society of Photographic Scientists and Engineers.

Thanks for asking. It brought back happy memories.

cheerio,
andy