Gallery Review: 2003-10-11

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 11 Oct. 03.

Work/Play  on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
includes:

Greg Fraser - Coaster
A touch of "anything you can do ...".
A fairground scene, shown in B&W.
Crisp and clear. Contrast hadled well.  Love the gradation of tones
L-R in the sky.
One little rollercoaster car: Would it have been better 1/2 sec later
with the car above the horizontal white member ?

Good use of space, lines and all the usual guff.

Good image Carney.

Shawna Hanel - Concern
Unuasual choice of subject and even odder choice of DOF.
As a subject it's perfectly valid: something to think about.
Why though such shallow depth of field? It's not working for me with
the out of focus bits streaming towards the camera.  I reckon it would
have worked better had the wind been the other way.

Don't understand the title mind you ...

Sorry: interesting but could be better.  If the trash is still up
there try again with the aperture shut down.

Fletcher Jernigan - Geometry
As a thumbnail I thought this looked like it would be truly stunning:
a simple graphical arrangement: high-key (like haiku?)

Opened up however I was a little dissappointed with the technical
quality.  I feel I should be able to resolve fine detail on the yellow
balls but they seem to be OOF of the front face. Or was it motion
blur.

Sorry Fletcher: this show was so nearly stunning.  Great idea, great
vision but the lack of sharpness is not helping me to really enjoy it.

Dan Mitchell - Ascent
Another one that looked to be a stunning thumbnail.

Opened up it's still a good image: graphically.
The blown out highlights (guess no choice to get detail on the
bannister rails) mar it.

It's well seen and well composed but I keep looking at wondering which
way up I'd have presented it.
I keep feeling I'm falling backwards ;o)

John Warner - Morning, between E. Harding and Cocking
This was a pretty dull thumbnail but the picture was a pleasant
surprise.
I like the transition from dark foreground, along the lane and out
into the mist.
A sombre scene.

Maybe too much foreground though: I'd be tempted to crop it square
from the base.  Think it makes a much more balanced picture that way.

Good shot.

Alan Zinn - "Mama" by Louise Bourgeois
Photographs of other artist's work - two of them this week.
I always, instinctively, ask "what did the photographer add?".

I don't know on this one: OK, it's well placed in the frame.
The bit that leaves me cold is the central "leg" where it gets lost
amongst the trees.  I want to see contrast there - by tone or bokeh?
Oh, maybe cropping off the tree-line (another square format?) removes
what I see as a flaw.

Yes, I prefer it that way.

Scott Thurmond - Keeper of the Door
Second example.

In this Scott has used the juxtaposition of the statue and red door to
good effect.
It's a bit of a narrow (literally) feel for me though.

I'd be tempted to cheat in PS and widen it by 10-20% relative to the
height: Scott might feel that was missing the point completely but
there you go.

It would have been a very different picture with the head to the left
of the door looking across it: as it is looking out of the picture it
creates a little bit of interesting tension.

Bob Talbot - Cantona
Oo Ah ....

That quote ...

"When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think that
sardines
will be thrown into the sea."
http://www.phespirit.info/pictures/heroes/p007_info.htm

Thanks to the lot of you: loved the visit.
Didn't mean to offend with the comments but if I did ...

Bob