Gallery review

My take on the photographs currently on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

               Dave Van Verst - Teton Valley Ranch 1952
Nice to see this transparency lasted as well as it did.  I notice a slight red/magenta cast to it, is this in the original, or is it the result of the digitizing process?

I would like to see what this same spot looks like today.

               Achal Pashine - Fruit Seller, Western India
Colorful, graphic image of an interesting subject taken from a unique viewpoint.  I too would like to see a customer or at least a passer-by in the picture.  The use of flash, and therefore lack of natural shadows, detracts from the overall quality here, but nicely captured otherwise.

               Dan Mitchell - Secret Courtyard
This looks like a quick grab shot of a subject with some potential.  More time should have been spent here.  Perhaps you could return for further exploration and some different angles and lighting--a cloudy day might be wonderful.

               Jeff Spirer - M
I could see this being used to illustrate the cover of a sleazy detective novel.  The picture gives clues, but no answers.  Definitely moody with a feel of overcast drizzly sky.   The traffic light coming in from the top of the frame with no sign of its support adds the the mysterious element.

Did a slight underexposure lend to the grainy look?

               David Small - Under the El
Another moody one.  I like the haze/dust picked up in the slanting sunlight.

I'm somewhat put off by the converging verticals. I would also be tempted to lop off the whole right third of the picture (just right of the streetlight) and turn this into a vertical--I think it would be a real winner then with the composition really sucking the viewer into the frame.

               Maris V. Lidaka, Sr. -  Ferris Wheel, Navy Pier, Chicago
Like Dan Mitchell's shot this situation is loaded with potential, but misses the mark somehow.  I played with it in Photoshop but came up with little I could do to improve it--rotated 90° clockwise and converted to grayscale was but a small improvement.  Perhaps it's the lack of drama in the lighting.  Could you return here at a more advantageous time of day?

               Bob Talbot - Wild
Ah, Bob seems to have been paying attention to this week's lessons on the Forum.  Gaussian blur and the history brush was it?  Or did you indeed smear vaseline on one of your nice prime lenses?

I like me cats too.  This one needs a bit of cropping to make the composition a little less static.  I prefer it as a square like this:  http://members.aol.com/cameratraveler/talbotC.jpg

               Emily L. Ferguson - working the grinder
Grinding the viewer.  Not up to what you are capable of, Emily.  The caption is more interesting than the picture.

               Fletcher Jernigan -
Nicely composed, but not enough depth-of-field to carry the overall image.  Might have been nice to see only the petals without showing the interior of the flower.  The highlights are too burned out--some additional lighting or reflectors would have helped balance things out.

Thanks to all contributors and to Andy and the gang for their efforts.

Rich Mason