comments on this week's gallery

Hi all,

on the one hand, the recent trend of smaller galleries is a bit sad.
On the other, it makes it much easier to write up review comments of
some length. Happily, I have managed to ignore work long enough to
start _and_ finish one this week. So:

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Dave Van Verst - Teton Valley Ranch 1952
My first though was that the colours were rather faded. But, the
details you provided quickly made me realize that would be an unfair
complaint. (Score one for digital -- 0's and 1's don't fade. They
just get trapped in obsolete media and file formats!)
The diagonal of green in the foreground works here to overcome what,
without it, would be a sense of stasis.

Achal Pashine - Fruit Seller, Western India
I very much like the vivid and contrasting colours of the fruit and
the cart. The cart is nicely placed as well. The plainness of the
background works here, too. I think the shot would have likely been
weaker had there been customers present. For me, at least, it is the
sparseness that makes this one work. Indeed, I think I would have
liked it more had the vendor himself not been in the frame. (Though
his scarf nicely complements the colours of the fruit.) Also, the
stool's being completely in the frame bothers me a little bit. But,
overall, I like this very much.

Dan Mitchell - Secret Courtyard
I like this one, too. There is a good balance of brightness with only
a bit of the foreground being very dark. I've quite a number of
similar shots of courtyards in Italy spoiled by too much darkness in
the foreground, so hats off. My main quibble would be that an angle
which did not place the ornament of the gate almost in the centre of
the archway might have worked better. But, from the walls of the
hallway, it looks like you had a fairly limited range of options.

Jeff Spirer - M
The bright triangle on the bottom a third of the way from the left
edge bothers me. I've tried cropping this a few different ways on
screen. Removing only the triangle leaves a weird black spike just
under the traffic light, and that would bother me too much, too.
Removing the triangle and the structure under the traffic does leave
the traffic light a bit too close to the bottom border, but at least
in my opinion, it makes the composition stronger even so. So too
would cropping enough off the top to get rid of the sliver of sky
above the building on the left. (Apparently I cannot resist
complaining about the cropping on most of this week's images, but
there you have it.)

David Small - Under the El
Cue the smoky piano jazz and a tired looking man in fedora and trench-
coat and you've got the basis of a good neo-noir scene.
I like the mood a lot. The angle of the light and the misty quality
(under the El track and of the building in the distance) both make
this nice to look at.
A few things bother me, though. There are some unhappy digital
artifacts (at least when viewed on my set-up): much of the El track
(upper left and along the diagonal of light) and along the sidewalk
in the lower left is afflicted with some ugly patchiness. (If this
was originally done on film, I suspect I would like a print much
more.) Also, I wish the truck (?) at extreme left were not there. I
think you would have a better image if you cropped that out.

Maris V. Lidaka, Sr. -  Ferris Wheel, Navy Pier, Chicago
I like the intricate lace-work of the structure. At first I felt as
though the relatively empty space near the middle (the axle of the
wheel, perhaps?) was too close to the centre of the frame. But
looking longer, I have come to think that the strong horizontal lines
above the strip of green and the large cross below serve to unbalance
the frame enough to overcome what would have otherwise felt static.

Bob Talbot - Wild
Over cats and cat photos, wild I am not. That said, this does capture
a moment quite well. Did you use a portrait lens, diffusion filter,
or the old vaseline trick? It looks as though you did, and I cannot
recall every having seen such "portrait" techniques applied to a cat
before.
I do like the background, but think it a shame that both it, and the
area just above the cat's eyes are marred by a moire pattern.

Emily L. Ferguson - working the grinder
Since the grinder is the focus of the photo, it seems too bad that it
is right up against the lower edge. I also think that the image would
be improved if the white background were a touch less bright. (Might
be my set-up, but it is an overpowering pure white.) The strap across
the red cap is also a distraction, but I'm guessing the wind wasn't
cooperative. Overall, this one does little for me. I liked your photo
of the spinnaker a few weeks back much more. (Indeed, I cannot now
resist shamelessly recycling a line from yet another half-done and
never posted review. I hypothesized that you must have been very
"prowed" of that one!)

Fletcher Jernigan -
This has a very nice dreaminess to it. I really like the translucency
and texture at the upper right.
Since you've already sharpened, evidently you've no philosophical
qualms about the digital darkroom. Perhaps you might try "burning"
some areas to get more portions of the brightness range represented.
As it is now, there are some very bright portions, some rather darker
ones, and little in between. I think filling in the tonal middle
might improve things.

Anyway, such were my thoughts about this week's gallery. Thanks to
the contributors and the staff for giving me the opportunity to gripe
about cropping and the like.

Best to all,

Brian van den Broek