Re: RE on PF exhibits on 09-27-03

I woke up at 3am and realized what it was about the lighting. The
sunlight is reflecting off the water as well.
So we have as our key light the sun above lens axis and as a fill what
would amount to a strip of sunlight (as seen by the bird) across the
water filling in underneath. This would completely surround the bird in
light leaving no chiaroscuro whatsoever.

This is a common lighting arrangement for vain actresses in decline as
its flatness fills in any wrinkles and refused to describe any bulges
bags or sags. The difference would be that usually a softer reflector
would be used such as a 4x8 sheet of foamcore reflecting light from an
even softer source such as a soft box or umbrella.
In this case the primary light source is a pinpoint 150 thousand
kilometers away and the reflector an inefficiently mirrored surface.

So?  Sharp, flat, flinty lighting. Cruel and cold. Good for
photographing dental work, I suppose.