Re: Nikon D2H vs. Kodak digital camera - long response

At 3:55 PM -0700 9/18/03, Jerry McCown wrote:
Hi all.

I was about to purchase a Nikon D100 from my mother-in-law that works at a
fairly large shop.  Her boss told her that I should wait as there will be a
price reduction soon after Oct. 1.  If that is the case, there might be a
reduction on the D2H.

D-100s are $1800 on eBay. The new D2H has a smaller maximum file size than the D-100 but shoots many more fps, a consideration if you're shooting football or soccer or flying birds.

I've had 2/3rds of a D-100 file used for the cover of a magazine recently and I'd used the fine JPEG resolution to capture the file to begin with. The Nikon lens was sharp and the image on the cover was also. A 17M file at 300dpi is about 6x10. The cover of the magazine was 8x12 and the editor only used the top 2/3rds of the digitally captured image.

Didn't seem necessary to me to acquire a larger file, and considering how slow the RAW capture or the TIFF capture is, the JPEG seemed fine too.

But that's not what the stock houses will tell you.

The standard for stock is becoming a minimum 50M file. Either you shoot film and have it scanned to that size file, or you have to upsample your digital capture, since the new Kodak digi doesn't get files that large.

I'm a Nikon shooter, I know from beans about the Canons. But I do hear often from both my NPPA list and my Stockphoto list that Canon is ahead right now in the race for big size files and competitive price. I thought the D2H was going to be Nikon's most recent entry into the race - bigger file than the D-100 etc. But it wasn't. It's a PJ's camera.

If I could afford a digital at this point I'd probably haunt eBay until someone put a used D-100 up for less than the packages that the dealers have, and try to get it. The last one was going for around $1100 4 hours before the end of the auction. Since I'm not in the market I didn't stick around to find out what it closed at.