RE: The Lord of the Rings

Sponge Bob <snapper@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> wrote/replied to:

><<No need. Just open your eyes and there it is, the truth. >>
>
>Jim
>My goodness did you really mean that seriously?

Oh yes. For the reason that it would inspire philosophical discussions
such as these. Let's go at it then...

>"The truth" ... for one my eyes often decieve me.

The truth is simply what you perceive of the world. No more, no less.
I believe in the simple theory of truth.

>Futher, what we "see" is as much the product of our minds as it is a product of the (hypothetical) outside world.  The moon illusion jumps to mind.

That's right, we each see and have our own truth. Whether illusion,
fantasy, or an outright lie, to each of us, the truth is what we
believe it to be. Is there anything more important to you than what's
in your mind?

>The "truth" we see is often strongly influenced by what we want to see / believe.

The truth IS what we want to see or believe.

Some might say that the world as we perceive it is not the truth. I
ask them to prove it then. It all boils down to what we believe. Does
it matter? I think not. These are only words, and truth is simply
another word. A human fabricated word to try and put some kind of
meaning on something we would like to establish and know for certain.

One more thing. If you go through life worrying about truths, you will
get no where. Be flexible, the world is flexible. But in the end, what
is in front of your eyes really is the truth. You may not see it all,
you may not understand it all, but what you see cannot be anything
else but the truth.

I hope that helps.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography