Re: Interference patterns in plastic

> Could it just be my scan or will all plastics be goofified by polarizing
> filters?

Greg,

Just about any transparent plastic extrusion will show these "interference"
lines - they become even more noticeable if the subject is placed between
polarizing filters. Generally the problem manifests itself because these
subjects are not annealed (allowed to cool slowly) and have embedded in them
stress patterns established during the molding process.

The colored lines are actually an indication that they were preferentially
passed by the on-camera polarizer while the rest of the colors were mostly
absorbed. So it not quite an interference effect in the classic sense of the
word. At least I think so at this time unless someone who really knows tells me
otherwise!

cheers,
andy