Interference patterns in plastic

I have an image of a child's translucent plastic car backlit by sunlight. I took the image a while ago and probably used a polarizing filter. Using curves or levels in Photoshop, there is a very limited range where interference patterns are not visible in the plastic. I know clear Plexiglas will show interference when viewed through a polarizing filter but I didn't think all plastics would exhibit this.

Could it just be my scan or will all plastics be goofified by polarizing filters?

Greg Fraser
Senior Technical Support Officer
GTIS - PWGSC
457 Richmond St., 6th Floor