RE: Interference patterns in plastic

Plastics are optically altered by stress.  You can get some very pretty
patterns by putting a piece a plastic film or strip between two crossed
polars.  It may be used to analyse stresses in a plastic model of a load
bearing beam to aid beam design.

I think the correct term is "birefringent".

Or just make pretty patterns.

I don't know how to make them go away.

Chris
Web Page