Re: Pricing LONG (sorry)

Hi Russ and Brian,

Pricing can always be dicey. If you are way too high, you won't get any
repeat business, if you are too low you will get lots of work but a low
profit margin.

This is (again) where your  business plan and where your Cost Of  Doing
Business comes into play.

You must sit down and figure ALL of your costs from A-Z so that you can
determine how much to charge for a given service. Head shots should actually
be lower than portraits although actually they are very similar, BUT the
repeat prints should exceed the portrait work and do not allow some other
weenie to do any of the printing. There are several head shot printers out
there that cater directly to photographers (ABC Printing is one) so that you
can control the front and back end of the product.And then the MOOLA stays
with you and the client gets one stop shopping.

Your business plan needs to include layers of income generating products so
that you can get the client IN the door and then upsell them for more or
different products at a later date. Keeping contact lists or even better
customer filled out info cards are critical for market penetration and
repeat business. Remember those K-Mart photographers? Well they are betting
on the AVERAGE the customer spends for a given print or portrait package.
Selling one piddely 8x will kill you quick.

I used to shoot for PCA in some of the smallest cow towns in CA. Don't let
that old rusty truck fool you Gramma has some cash for little Johhnys piccy.
In Oakland one of the poorest city's on northern CA I had a $89 customer
average for over a 14 days. coupled w/ a shoot that lasted two weeks x 250
sittings a week I did damn good. Yes that is $44,500+  of work for PCA. I
won boatloads of awards for my income generating capabilities. Now Oakland
is not a cow town, it is heavily African-American and Hispanic. Low income
abounds.

Now In Marysville pop 10000 or so I had a c/a of $127 of mostly East
Indian - American for over 3 weeks. The hook -  we gave away a free 8x and
used a $5.00 sitting fee. Yes some folks paid the sitting fee and took the
free 8x and did not buy anything else. We break even on those = sitting fee
= print cost.

Your customer average along with your CODB is what creates income for you.
If you look at it like a single portrait price then you will soon be
flipping burgers.

How much do you charge. Well, how good are your images. If they are no
better than those taken by some pimply faced kid then once again your are
hosed.

However if you are better, SAY SO!!! No one is going to magically jump up
and tell them how great you are, you've got to do that on your own. So many
photographers want to play the victim it makes me sick (not you two). During
the first contact with a potential customer you have got to build in
perceived value greater than the other photographers in your area, do not
belittle other shooters (to the potential client) in your area even the mall
weenies or k-mart - sears - or monkey wards. Make yours better, not theirs
worse. The client will not like ANY negative vibe from you. Have you ever
sat down for a haircut and had the stylist ask you where you got your hair
chopped off last?

Tell them the DIFFERENCES between your work and those of the chain schmucks.
You must explain that your years of training, skill and creativity are what
they are purchasing Not the same type of crap that everyone else has. And
NOT what kind of camera you use!!!

It makes not one whit where you live. Cars are not that much cheaper in a
poor city than they are in rich one. You have got to be able to negotiate.

Now HOW to price the WORK (notice I said work NOT prints or CDs or head
shots.)
You have your daily CODB, so you know how much you must charge to break even
(not the goal just the start). Then you need to decide how much you would
like to make this year. More than ever its important to pay YOURSELF first.

HUH?

Yup, thats what I said, you pay you first, not the lab, the rent, the new
gear, or your pesky credit card company. If you take the leftovers then how
will you ever afford a steak? This way you are forced to charge a living
wage for yourself. If it breaks down to just over minimum wage don't
bother, go flip burgers.

Now, you have your CODB and what you want to put into your own checking
account right? You just allowed yourself to create your pricing and product
list to hand to the client. Your services are ;

Photography x amount per hour for location and x for studio work.
Portraits that involve kids and such are this and special needs customers
are x or x
Prints are this amount for one, this amount for 5 and this amount if you buy
a package of 2ea 8x, 4 ea. 5x and so many wallets if you buy over x you will
get a 10% discount off of the next (or this ) order.

You can create price lists to hand out for all of the products you have,
i.e.. Portrait single or group, commercial (obviously more dinero),
Weddings, corporate events etc. These should be separate and printed ready
to hand the customer. NOW this is important, do not give prices over the
phone without meeting the client first. You will nearly always screw this up
if you do.
Arrange a meeting in the guise of a portfolio review, or any excuse to meet.
If you have not have an actual studio, use the local coffee shop and make
sure you buy. Ask as many probing questions as you can. What are the images
for, who is in them, any special needs, would you like a location or studio,
Take a pad of paper and write down the questions starting with name and
phone number, then as much info as you can drag from them,  politely, then
set up the meet. This is often a good way to clear out the looky loos tire
kickers and other shooters that want your prices to undercut.

You have three basic formulas;

1.No sitting fee get all of the CODB and pay/profit from print sales.

2. High sitting fee (I prefer creative fee) fairly low per print pricing.

3. High creative fee, high print price, low shoot numbers high c/a - low or
no repeat business.

Obviously there are many variotions of the above make one for your self and
work the heck out of it and do not be afraid to change it if it's not
generating income.

Any questions? They do not teach this stuff in college, it took me years of
doing it wrong first.

Les Baldwin