To: <photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 10:24 AM
Subject: Pricing

Hi Gang.....................

Every one here has told me that I am charging too little for my work.

I agree on that................

Here is the situation..................

I am doing Theatrical Portraits.................

You know Head Shots.

Usually I get $30.00 for a sitting.
I shoot about 30-40 shots and then give
the customer a low res. CD of the shoot.

(I am shooting digital now, I used to give them proof sheets of the 6x7 negs)

I charge $10.00 for the first 8x10
and then $5.00 for each copy from that same pose.

I just went round and round with a customer
who felt that if they were ordering in a large quantity they should get a lower price.

They had just placed an order for 5 prints each of two different poses.

So the math is
$10.00 for the first one
$5.00 for the copies of that

So the total was $60.00
for the package of 10 shots.

These shots were taken on digital,
converted to grey scale and touched
up in Photo Shop by me and then taken to Sam's Club where I was charged
$2.00 ea.

So I am making $40.00 on the package...........

Where the problem lies is that this customer had some shots
done by a large studio that did get some good bucks for a sitting
and some finished prints, and then directed her to a lab that would make her an 8x10 copy neg. from one of the finished prints
(and she could keep the neg) and then run off 8x10's at a buck a piece when she needed photos. (I do think she had to order 25 at time)

I do understand that there are labs I can deal with that will print my files when I order a quantity cheaper than Sam's Club
$2.00 a print.

But what here is what my real question is..................

I was under the idea I was not charging enough for my work.

(and I have called around to the local Studios and I am more than competitive in my pricing)

I hate to ask this, but are any of you folks doing this sort of work and could I ask a "ballpark figure as to what you are charging?

(please don't direct me to a bunch of books to look up
rates and stuff, I just am looking for a basic idea of what the average pro/semi pro is getting for this in the real world)

Thanks........

Russ
R.E. Baker
Photography