Re: do newpaper phojos carry lights

mikeking@cableone.net writes:

<< Currently most work for papers is shot in color even if the planned usage
is
 black and white.  With color you want daylight balance illumination so
 everyone shoots flash.  You shoot color all the time.

It's great that so many people on this forum really seem to know a lot about
the history of photography. I really enjoy reading about this, since I don't
know all that much about it. Just a quick note however to the above comment.
Not everyone, again, uses flash that works for the newspapers. Some of them use
it a lot, and some use it only if they have to, which is not very often.
Others don't use it at all. I know this for a fact having worked with the staff of
the Dallas Morning News which is a major Pulitzer prize winning newspaper. I
also happen to know that Kevin Gilbert, who was chief White House photographer
for a major Washington DC newspaper, told me personally that he never uses
flash except for situations like the Olympics where the units were placed way up
high and controlled by a remote system. He also never uses filters or tripods.

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://lesliescottphotography.com/";>Leslie Scott Photography</A>
<A HREF="http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm";>Leslie Scott
Photography and Tours</A>