Re: do newpaper phojos carry lights

In a message dated 9/5/03 9:22:41 PM Central Daylight Time, jeff@spirer.com
writes:

<< >What is the  line of demarcation between
 >photojournalist and newspaper/magazine photog?  It really sounds like
 >doublespeak to me...

I will say that a lot of magazine and newspaper photographers are considered
photojournalists in the industry. Take for example Ami Vitale. She is a
magazine photographer who definitely tells a story with her photographs and won the
Best of Photojournalism "Magazine Photographer of the Year". She doesn't use
flash (at least not very often if at all). I think in the pj industry it just
depends upon what type of thing you shoot. Certainly, some pj's do photos that
tell stories but use flash while others, like pj's that are in the world's hot
spots can very rarely use flash. But some of them do in certain situations. I
am getting back on to the whole flash debate, but another photographer
(Italian who was killed within the past year in Israel) by the name of A. Raffaele
Ciriello did use fill flash on some of his stuff and he was definitely
considered a photojournalist. His website in case anyone is interested in checking out
his stuff is http://www.ciriello.com. He was also a newspaper photographer.
Anyway, I choose not to. It's just not my personal style. In the newspaper
industry, you kind of have to be a generalist photographer, which is why I keep
mentioning Ami. She shoots the stuff that is close to her heart. She doesn't
necessarily go to where all the other photographers are going (the latest hot
spot). She goes to places that she feels have a story to be told and she stays
there and gets to know the people and the situation as an insider (and gets paid
for it!). I want to be in the position at some point to be paid to shoot
something that I am passionate about, even if it is in the form of a grant. This
is going way off track, so I will end here.

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://lesliescottphotography.com/";>Leslie Scott Photography</A>
<A HREF="http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm";>Leslie Scott
Photography and Tours</A>