business 101 - was magazine rights help

Hi Bobbie and all

I understand completely. However, I have risked my neck and my life more
times than I can count for God and country, my photography and sometimes
just for the fun of it. I have been shot at, jumped from airplanes (yes
perfectly good ones <vbg>)
and worked more fires than I care to count. Not really giving a darn nor a
thought about what "may" happen. I have had friends die in a plane, 5 in one
shot. Others maimed or broken due to sports or war photography.

Most are now between a rock and a hard place financially. My wife and I
agreed that if I was to continue doing something other than shooting flowers
I needed to get more money worth the risks, insure like all hell to cover
us, our stuff, and most of all the surviving mate. I don't know if you are
married, or not but if you have someone special in your life how will they
survive if you croak during a shoot? Or even worse if you never save for the
day when you can no longer hold your camera. Currently it costs $5500 per
month to be in a convalescent home for the aged or infirm. How are you going
to pay for that? I am not ready to go by any means but if I fall out of an
airplane and survive only to be a quadriplegic who is going to take care of
me and who will take care of my wife?

I cannot impress upon you younger photographers what it takes to be a
success -  It's not just the byline and the check. That's just the gravy.

Doing business the tough way will always cost each of you some jobs. Those
are the bottom of the barrel gigs that are always floating in  each type of
photography. But one thing this business has taught me, the only thing
tougher than getting gigs to pay a fair wage, is getting bottom feeders to
pay more the next time they call.

Les Baldwin