Re: For everyone on the pay issue debate

LScottPht@aol.com writes:

> Here is an interesting statement from the editor at Getty Images ...

> "While I agree that there is a serious problem with work for
> photojournalists, I disagree that Getty Images is behind the decline
> in work for freelancers.  <snip>

I'm probably the last person to start defending Gates or any of his ilk,
but I do think there's a cause/effect confusion in the original claim
(that Getty &c are *causing* low rates for photographers).

Simple example:

1953: clients in Green Bay, Wisconsin and Edinburgh, Scotland need stock
photos of a yacht with a white sail. Two strategies:

(a) Two photographers do the separate jobs. Cost $100 and 40 pounds.

(b) One photographer does the job (cost $100), plus the research and
communications required for the two clients to discover that each other
exists, etc etc. ($10,000, even not reliably)

Not hard to see whether (a) or (b) gets selected.

2003: Same situation (only the sail is coloured stripes, not white). But
the cost of finding out that someone somewhere else has already taken
the photo has effectively fallen from infinity to zero. So obviously
there's only a job for one person.

So there's a fundamental change in the way the world is, and fighting it
is not going to work. At the same time a whole new range of
possibilities opens up - for example, it's perfectly feasible for
someone in Green Bay to sell a print to an individual in Edinburgh, with
no intermediaries, and negligible marketing costs; in 1953 this would
have been completely infeasible.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at: